In addition to the specific resources for this week, we are also listening to Story of the World (SOTW) on CD, watching selected episodes of Drive Thru History, and keeping a cummulative timeline of things we learn in history. I am planning appropriate activities for Mia that are a little less complicated than last year and giving PJ freedom to research the topics on his own and come up with a way to show me he’s learned something. We do all of our memory work to song. If CC doesn’t provide a tune, we find one on CC Connected (well worth the subscription in my opinion).
History: Ancient India
Because we are spending 2 weeks on Ancient India, we may spend one week on culture and one on Hinduism.
- Intro video and other great info (-,+, A,V)
- Lesson plan
- Craft your way through India (K)
- Website on castes
- Website on the Taj Mahal (This is covered really well in SOTW)
- Great PBS Site for independent research (+,V)
- Corresponding lesson plans for above link
- Downloadable textbook chapter on India (This is the opposite of living books)
- Interactive Website (-, V)
- High School Lesson plan (+)
- Time Warp Trio
- Missionary highlight: Amy Carmichael
This is by no means a complete list but resources we will most likely use. As I come across other helpful resources, I will leave notes in the comment section below so be sure to check back as the week gets closer. Also, feel free to leave a comment with any of your suggested resources.
+ older elementary
- younger elementary
V for the visual learner
A for the auditory learner
K for the kinesthetic learner