VeggieTales is at it again! On August 14th, they will release The Penniless Princess—God’s Little Girl which is the heart-warming story based on the classic children’s book A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Sweet Sarah Crew has everything a little girl could want – a loving family, lots of friends and a closet full of frilly dresses! But when life takes a turn and Sarah goes from riches to rags, will she realize that her true worth lies not in what she has, but what she has in her heart? Find out in this inspiring new story from VeggieTales that reminds kids who they are in God’s eyes.
We’ve always been big VeggieTales fans as a family so I was super-excited to receive a complimentary pre-release copy to review. We took a break from the Olympic action yesterday to pop in VeggieTales’ newest installment.
- The music, albeit a little less goofy than past episodes, is catchy and cute.
- You can’t beat the message which focuses on how our worth is based on what God thinks of us and not our external circumstances.
- Great special features including a special tour of London with the popular French Peas characters, a hilarious look at the history of the Teddy Bear, a discussion guide for parents, and behind-the-scenes clips.
- There is a great devotional to complement the DVD message. (While it’s very girly and pink, the actual content is pretty gender neutral.)
- While the Silly Song is great for adults, the humor might be lost on young kids. Non-readers may also not “get it” since most of the content is written on the screen while the characters sing the texting abbreviations.
- It definitely has more girl appeal than boy. All three kids enjoyed it but Mia was the only one who was enthusiastic about it at the end.
Disclaimer: I received 2 complimentary DVDs (1 to review and 1 to giveaway) and a complimentary copy of the VeggieTales 365 Day Starter Devos for Girls.